|| || |
This Article Last Updated: Oct 14th, 2010 - 15:13:49
Boy, a lot has happened since I wrote last.
JUST FINISHED: We had two Junior events this summer and I would say they were a success! In Europe we had 7 boats and 14 Juniors sailing and in North America we had 9 boats and 10 Juniors sailing. I personally had a great summer sailing with my junior. I learned a lot and so did he—a perfect win-win situation! There is nothing more rewarding, in my book anyway, than sailing with a junior. Give it a try!
The Worlds in Varberg were very well put together. The only people HP and Nina did not have on their committee were the wind gods! The yacht club and fleet turned out volunteers the likes of which have not been seen for awhile! I really enjoyed meeting many of our newer members as well as the fleet officers I deal with on a regular basis. It was great to put a face to the name!
The North Americans just finished up for our final 2009 Silver Star. 47 boats attended and Long Island Sound gave us breeze! I think it was breeze saved up from years past when there was none! Great surfing/planing conditions and great organization by Nelson Stephenson, Dave Cutler and the rest of the Central Long Island Sound Fleet as well as the membership of Cedar Point Yacht Club.
WEBSITE: We’ve moved our website to a new server and have had several glitches in the process. Thank you for being patient through this. If you have any more troubles, please let me know so I can have them fixed.
UPCOMING EVENTS: The 2010 South Americans are coming up in November 2009 in Rio de Janeiro and the 2010 Worlds in January of 2010. The Brazilian fleets are gearing up to show everyone a great time and some great sailing. The entries will be online and are all posted on our website. Shipping information is also on the website.
IMPORTANT DATES AND THINGS:
1. If you enter a regatta online and do not get a receipt automatically for your entry, please inform the Central office.
2. If you are entering the 2010 Worlds you must also pay your 2010 dues (and your crews too!) at the time of your entry.
3. 2010 for 2011 Resolutions are due in the Central office tomorrow, October 1st. Your fleet secretary has forms. They are also on the website http://starcham.nextmp.net/classic/artman/publish/article_441.shtml.
4. The Nomination forms are in the mail to the Fleet Secretaries. Nominations are due back to the Central Office October 20th. The form and accompanying letter can also be found on the website
5. Fleet Kits will be in the mail by November 1st. Remember dues are due January 1st each year. Start collecting early!!
100 YEARS—CAN YOU BELIEVE THE STAR CLASS WILL BE 100 YEARS OLD IN 2011?
Planning for big celebrations are already underway in the States as well as in Europe. I do not have the details of the European 100th celebration but you can contact Christoph Gautschi who is heading up the effort there email@example.com .
In the States Rick Peters (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the coordinator between the Class and Larchmont Yacht Club, host of the celebration. The dates are September 12-17, 2011 following the Bedford Pitcher Regatta. You will be receiving a survey shortly asking your opinions and preferences for the big events — please, please fill it out. This is your class and your celebration and we are trying to accommodate everyone as best we can.
We also expect that each fleet will have some sort of celebration of its own and we will be very excited to post your announcements, photos, and hear your stories on the website. As soon as we settle on some promotional materials we will make them available to all. For sure 2011 will be a year to remember.
Smooth sailing everyone,
Top of Page
| || |